Bo Pan grew up in Gan su, China. He received Bachelor’s degree (with honor) and Master’s degree (with honor) both in Electronic Engineering from Tsinghua University, Beijing, China, respectively in July 2000 and January 2003. After getting a Master’s degree, he worked in Wireless and Networking group of Microsoft Research Asia as a visiting student. Since the autumn of 2003, he joined the Ph.D. program at the School of Electrical and Computer Engineering at the Georgia Institute of Technology.
In Georgia Tech, He was a research assistant of both the MiRCTECH Group led by Prof. John Papapolymerou and the A.T.H.E.N.A. Group leb by Prof. Manos Tentzeris. He was also associated with the Georgia Electronic Design Center. Mr. Pan focused on the design, fabrication and characterization of integration of novel millimeter wave passive components for next generation wireless transceiver front-end using surface micromachining approach, including antennas, coupler, resonators and filters. His previous research for the Master thesis was to design broadband receiver front-end amplifier and driver amplifier for external modulator in fiber-optic transceiver.
His research interests include microwave integrated circuits, especially the design of novel passive and active components. He is also interested in numerical electromagnetics.
- B. Pan, J. Papapolymerou and M. M Tentzeris “MEMS-Integrated and Micromachined Antenna Elements, Arrays and Feeding Networks,” chapter in Modern Antenna Handbook, edited by Prof. Constantine A. Balanis, to be published by John&Wiley Sons Inc.
- B. Pan, Y. Li, M. M Tentzeris and J. Papapolymerou, “A High-Q Millimeter-Wave Air-lifted Cavity Resonator on Lossy Substrates,” IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 17, No. 8, pp 571 – 573, Aug. 2007
- Y. Li, B. Pan, C. Lugo, M. M. Tentzeris, and J. Papapolymerou, “Design and Characterization of a W-band Micromachined Cavity Filter Including a Novel Integrated Transition from CPW Feeding Lines,” accepted for publication pending minor revisions by IEEE Transaction on Microwave Theory and Technology.
- B. Kim, B. Pan, S. Nikolaou, J. Papapolymerou, M.M.Tentzeris and Y.S. Kim, “A Novel Single-feed Circular Microstrip Antenna with Reconfigurable Polarization Capability,” accepted for publication on IEEE Trans. on Antenna and Propagation.
- B. Pan, Y.-K.Yoon, G.E.Ponchak, M.G.Allen, J.Papapolymerou and M.M.Tentzeris, “Analysis and Characterization of a High Performance Ka-Band Surface Micromachined Elevated Patch Antenna,” IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol.5, pp.511-514, December 2006.
- R Li, B. Pan, J. Papapolymerou, J. Laskar and M.M. Tentzeris, “Broadband low-profile antennas for wireless applications,” IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, April 2007 Page(s):396 – 400
- J.J. Gao, B.X. Gao and B. Pan, “The study on device model parameters for 10Gb/s HEMT modulator driver IC”, Microwave and optical technology letters, pp357-360, Vol. 35, No.5, December 5, 2002
- J.J.Gao, B.X. Gao and B. Pan, “An Approach to Determining Parasitic Elements for Laser Diodes”, Microwave and optical technology letters, pp191-193, Vol. 34, No.3,August 5, 2002
- Y. Li, B. Pan, M. M. Tentzeris and J. Papapolymerou, “A Fully Micromachined W-Band Coplanar Waveguide to Rectangular Waveguide Transition”, Proc. of 2007 IEEE-IMS Symposium, Honolulu, Hi, June 2007
- T. Wu, A. Traille, L. Yang, B. Pan, J. Papapolymerou and M. M. Tentzeris, “Novel Substrate-Independent Broadband Micromachined Antennas for Mm-Wave Cognitive Radio Applications”, 2007 IEEE AP-S International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation, Honolulu, Hawaii, June 10-15, 2007
- R. Li, B. Pan, J. Papapolymerou, J. Laskar, M. Tentzeris, “Low-Profile Broadband Planar Antennas for DVB-H, DCS-1800, and IMT-2000 Applications”, 2007 IEEE AP-S International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation, Honolulu, Hawaii, June 10-15, 2007
- B. Pan, R.Li, J.Papapolymerou, M.M.Tentzeris and J.Laskar, “A Cavity-Backed Broadband Circularly Polarized Slot/Strip Loop Antenna with a Simple Feeding Structure,” Proc. of 2006 IEEE-AP Symposium, pp.2595-2598, Albuquerque,NM, July 2006.
- B. Pan, R.Li, J.Papapolymerou, M.M.Tentzeris and J.Laskar, “Low-Profile Broadband and Dual-Frequency Two-Strip Planar Monopole Antennas,” Proc. of 2006 IEEE-AP Symposium, pp.2665-2668, Albuquerque,NM, July 2006.
- B. Pan, Y.Yoon, J.Papapolymerou, M.M.Tentzeris and M.Allen, “High Performance System-on-Package Integrated Yagi-Uda Antennas for W-band Applications and mm-Wave Ultra-Wideband Data Links”, Proc. of the 2006 ECTC, pp.1712-1717, San Diego, CA
- B. Pan, Y.Yoon, J.Papapolymerou, M.M.Tentzeris and M.Allen, “Design and Fabrication of Substrate-Independent Integrated Antennas using Surface Micromachining Technology”, Procs. of the 2005 Asian Pacific Microwave Conference, pp.1347-1350, Suzhou, China, Dec. 2005.
- B. Pan, Y.Yoon, J.Papapolymerou, M.M.Tentzeris and M.Allen, “A High Performance Surface-Micromachined Elevated Patch Antenna”, Proc. of the 2005 IEEE-AP Symposium, Washington DC, July 2005.
- Y.-K. Yoon, B. Pan, J. Papapolymerou, M. Tentzeris, and M.G. Allen, “A Vertical W-Band Surface-Micromachined Yagi-Uda Antenna”,Proc. of the 2005 IEEE-AP Symposium, Washington DC, July 2005.
- B.Pan, Y.Yoon, Y.Z.Zhao, J.Papapolymerou, M.M.Tentzeris and M.Allen, “A Broadband Surface-Micromachined 15-45 GHz Microstrip Coupler”, Proc. of the 2005 IEEE-IMS Symposium, Long Beach, CA, June 2005.
- Y.-K. Yoon, B. Pan, J. Papapolymerou, M. Tentzeris, and M.G. Allen, “Surface Micromachined Millimeter-Wave Components” Proc. of the 13th International Conference on Solid-State Sensors, Actuators and Microsystems, Seoul, Korea, 2005
- B.Pan, G. DeJean, C.Scholz, R.R. Li, J.Papapolymerou, M.M.Tentzeris and J.Laskar, “High Performance Low-Footprint Antennas for Real Time Medical Monitoring”, 2nd International Workshop on Nano & Bio-Electronics Packaging, Atlanta, GA, March 2005
- B.Pan, Y.Yoon, P.Kirby, J.Papapolymerou, M.M.Tentzeris and M.Allen, “A W-band Surface Micromachined Monopole for Low-cost Wireless Communication Systems”, 2004 IEEE-IMS Symposium, pp.1935-1938, Fort-Worth, TX, June 2004
- B. Pan and B. X. Gao, “Design of Wideband Current-mode CMOS Fiber-Optic Preamplifier Using Z Matrix Analysis”, Proceeding of 3rd International Conference on Microwave and Millimeter Wave Technology, Aug. 2002
- B. Pan, J. Gao and B.X. Gao, “10Gb/s External Modulator Module using Capacitive and Inductive Peaking Technology”, Proceeding of SPIE OMǨѢ01,2001
Patents and Invention Disclosures
- M.Allen, Y.K.Yoon, J.W. Park, Y-H. Joung, F.Cros. J. Papapolymerou, M.M.Tentzeris and B. Pan, “Surface Micromachined Millimeter-scale RF System and Method”, US Patent 7196666 B2, March. 27, 2007
- B. Pan, Y. Li, J. Papapolymerou and M.M. Tentzeris, “Novel capacitive coupling scheme for integrated waveguide filter”, filed for invention disclosure with GTRC
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com