Dr. Donado Morcillo received his B.S. degree in Electrical Engineering from the Universidad Catolica Santa Maria la Antigua (Republic of Panama) in 2002, and worked for the National Metrology Centre of Panama (CENAMEP -Panama’s national standards laboratory) from 2002 through 2006.
In 2006 he was granted a Fulbright Scholarship to study a Master of Science at the School of Electrical and Computer Engineering in Georgia Tech, which he completed in 2008. From 2008 to 2012 he pursued his PhD degree in the same institution focusing in the development of lightweight and low cost radar front end technologies. More information available here.
- Compact and lightweight RADAR front-end design and integration in organic substrates
- Tunable microwave filters design
- Characterization of dielectric materials for high frequency applications
- High-Frequency/RF metrology
- Thermal modeling of RF packages
- 2011-present: Reviewer for IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques. and for IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters
- 2002-2006: Coordinator of the Time and Frequency and optical length measurements laboratory (Standards maintenance, automated measurement instruments control, industrial calibrations and standards intercomparison). National Centre of Metrology of Panama (CENAMEP).
- 2001: Senior project internship in mobile wireless networks design (WiFi networks and microwave links design and implementation) – Panama Canal Authority.
- Best student paper award, IEEE Radio and Wireless Symposium, Santa Clara, CA (2012)
- Fulbright scholarship, Department of State (USA) (2006-2008)
PhD Thesis Dissertation
- Title: “Development Of Lightweight And Low-Cost Microwave Components For Remote-Sensing Applications”.
Advisor: Dr. John Papapolymerou.
Dr. Gregory Durgin, Professor, School of ECE, Georgia Institute of Technology;
Dr. Andrew Peterson, Professor, School of ECE, Georgia Institute of Technology;
Dr. Oliver Brand, Professor, School of ECE, Georgia Institute of Technology;
Dr. Clifford Henderson, School of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology.
Dissertation Date: Dec. 16, 2012.
- C. A. Donado Morcillo, C. E. Patterson, B. Lacroix, C. Coen, J. C. H. Poh, J. D. Cressler, J. Papapolymerou, “An ultra-thin, high-power and multilayer organic antenna array with T/R functionality in the X band,” accepted to IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory & Techniques, August 2012.
- S. Courreges, C. A. Donado Morcillo, S. Bhattacharya, and J. Papapolymerou, “Reduced-size multilayer x-band filters with stacked resonators on a flexible organic substrate,” IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 277–285, 2010.
- O. Lemtiri Chlieh, C. A. Donado Morcillo, S. Pavlidis, W. Kahn and J. Papapolymerou “Integrated Microfluidic Cooling for GaN Devices on Multilayer Organic LCP Substrate”, Accepted for publication at Microwave Symposium Digest (MTT), 2013 IEEE MTT-S International.
- S. Pavlidis, C.A.D. Morcillo, P. Song, W.T. Khan, R. Fitch, J. Gillespie, R. Febo, T. Quach, J. Papapolymerou, “A hybrid GaN/organic X-band transmitter module,” Radio and Wireless Symposium (RWS), 2013 IEEE , pp.241,243, 20-23 Jan. 2013.
- C. A. Donado Morcillo, B. Lacroix, H. Gu, J. Miller and J. Papapolymerou, “Compact and Low-Cost Topology for Evanescent-Mode Waveguide Filters with Dielectric Loading in the X Band”, Microwave Conference (EuMC), 2012 42nd European, pp.172,175, Oct. 29 2012-Nov. 1 2012. [Provisional patent application filed, March, 2012]
- C. Donado Morcillo, C. E. Patterson, and J. Papapolymerou, “Design of stripline beam-former network components for low-profile, organic phased arrays in the X Band,” in Proc. Radio and Wireless Symposium, 2012 IEEE, jan. 2012. [First place in Student Paper Competition]
- C. Donado Morcillo, C. Patterson, T. Thrivikraman, B. Lacroix, B. Wilson, B. Hudson, C. Coen, C. Poh, T. Heath, J. Cressler, and J. Papapolymerou, “A lightweight, 64-element, organic phased array with integrated transmit-receive sige circuitry in the X Band,” in Microwave Symposium Digest (MTT), 2011 IEEE MTT-S International, pp. 1 –4, june 2011.
- C. D. Morcillo, S. K. Bhattacharya, A. Horn, and J. Papapolymerou, “Conductor surface-roughness effect in the loss tangent measurement of low-loss organic substrates from 30 GHz to 70 GHz,” in Proc. 60th Electronic Components and Technology Conf. (ECTC), pp. 727–734, 2010.
- C. D. Morcillo, S. K. Bhattacharya, A. Horn, and J. Papapolymerou, “Thermal stability of the dielectric properties of the low-loss, organic material rt/duroid 6002 from 30 GHz to 70 GHz,” in Proc. 60th Electronic Components and Technology Conf. (ECTC), pp. 1830–1833, 2010.
- A. L. V. Lopez, S. K. Bhattacharya, C. A. D. Morcillo, J. Papapolymerou, and D. Choudhury, “Novel low loss thin film materials for wireless 60 GHz application,” in Proc. 60th Electronic Components and Technology Conf. (ECTC), pp. 1990–1995, 2010.
- M. A. Lombardi, A. N. Novick, J. M. Lopez R., J.-S. Boulanger, R. Pelletier, and C. Donado M., “TIME COORDINATION THROUGHOUT THE AMERICAS VIA THE SIM COMMON-VIEW GPS NETWORK,” in 38th Annual Precise Time and Time Interval (PTTI) Systems and Applications Meeting, Washington. DC, 2006.